Friday, November 7, 2008

The Addis Star

This star used to be on the river bridge in Chetopa. My Grandpa Addis made it in his welding shop in the 1940's (I think) in memory of a boy who drowned in the river. When the old iron bridge was torn down and replaced with a modern concrete (boring and plain) one, the star was removed and placed on a pole in the park in Chetopa, attached to a piece of the old bridge. I wish I had a picture of the old bridge with the star in its original spot, but sadly, I do not. So this is the next best thing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cool shot. love the color and the texture!
Cari

pat said...

What a neat old star--and how wonderful that there is a family connection.

Becky said...

That is really cool--you must feel proud when you see it. I love the processing you did to the photo.

Angela2932 said...

How moving and wonderful! I really like the textures you used on this. I hope you print and frame and enlargement of this photos, and find ways to keep photographs of this preserved for your family. Any chance you could find old newspaper photos of this? Sometimes local newspapers have "librarians" who track down stuff in their archives. Or even the reference librarian at your local library.

Anonymous said...

That is amazing...i love the sky in the background. Its unreal. There is something so amazing about stars, and this photo just seems to glow.