Jake took our big tree to put up at his house this year. It didn't hit me until I got all of his ornaments out for him to take and put on his tree. I've bought him an ornament every year so that SOMEDAY when he was grown up and on his own, he'd have ornaments of his own. Well, SOMEDAY finally came. And so did the tears as I got ready to decorate our tree without any of Jake's ornaments for the first time in 19 years. I can remember one Christmas a long time ago when I thought it would be so nice to have a tree that was decorated with a color scheme in mind or a theme - in other words, not just a hodgepodge of things we'd accumulated through the years. What I didn't realize at the time is that the 'hodgepodge' isn't just an accumulation of stuff, but a collection of memories. Each ornament that I've bought for Jake reflected his interests at that time. So looking at his collection is like strolling back through his childhood, from Batman to Harry Potter, to the KC Chiefs, to KU, to the Red Sox. And many more in between. So, our tree seems really bare this year, and not just because it's a puny little one. Maybe next year I'll have that fancy tree.Sunday, December 14, 2008
Reflections
I finally put up a Christmas tree today. I've put it off as long as possible because I figured my sweet little Gus would demolish it and eat the presents. So I bought a 4-foot tree and put it up on a table so (hopefully) he won't be so tempted. It's kind of puny, but it will do for this year. I still don't know what I'm going to do with the presents (none of which are wrapped yet). They may have to go in the loft. Gus hasn't learned to climb that ladder....yet.
Jake took our big tree to put up at his house this year. It didn't hit me until I got all of his ornaments out for him to take and put on his tree. I've bought him an ornament every year so that SOMEDAY when he was grown up and on his own, he'd have ornaments of his own. Well, SOMEDAY finally came. And so did the tears as I got ready to decorate our tree without any of Jake's ornaments for the first time in 19 years. I can remember one Christmas a long time ago when I thought it would be so nice to have a tree that was decorated with a color scheme in mind or a theme - in other words, not just a hodgepodge of things we'd accumulated through the years. What I didn't realize at the time is that the 'hodgepodge' isn't just an accumulation of stuff, but a collection of memories. Each ornament that I've bought for Jake reflected his interests at that time. So looking at his collection is like strolling back through his childhood, from Batman to Harry Potter, to the KC Chiefs, to KU, to the Red Sox. And many more in between. So, our tree seems really bare this year, and not just because it's a puny little one. Maybe next year I'll have that fancy tree.
Jake took our big tree to put up at his house this year. It didn't hit me until I got all of his ornaments out for him to take and put on his tree. I've bought him an ornament every year so that SOMEDAY when he was grown up and on his own, he'd have ornaments of his own. Well, SOMEDAY finally came. And so did the tears as I got ready to decorate our tree without any of Jake's ornaments for the first time in 19 years. I can remember one Christmas a long time ago when I thought it would be so nice to have a tree that was decorated with a color scheme in mind or a theme - in other words, not just a hodgepodge of things we'd accumulated through the years. What I didn't realize at the time is that the 'hodgepodge' isn't just an accumulation of stuff, but a collection of memories. Each ornament that I've bought for Jake reflected his interests at that time. So looking at his collection is like strolling back through his childhood, from Batman to Harry Potter, to the KC Chiefs, to KU, to the Red Sox. And many more in between. So, our tree seems really bare this year, and not just because it's a puny little one. Maybe next year I'll have that fancy tree.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
It does sound like a "small tree" year! I've been thinking that same thing, about my childrens' ornaments, and whether it was time to send them off with them. . . the two oledest are more settled in their own places this year. . . but I'd miss their ornaments!
Lou, I know EXACTLY where you are, having given both my kids their ornaments...and yes, the tree does seem bare without them, but OH! how fun to see them on THEIR trees! And you know, you can start a new collection of memories....and I love a good "hodgepodge" tree. They are so interesting to look at, and discover.
My tree is just the same as yours always were, and this year it is very crowded and made me reflect on how different that will be in just a few short years when I pass my kids' ornaments on to them. Enjoy your little tree and have fun visiting your son's ornaments in their new home. :-)
Awww, I love this posting. I am sure it was so hard to give up your sons ornaments, but what a great tradition. This really just inspired me to buy an ornament a year to pass on to my children. Thank you.
Your tree is beautiful! :)
I think your little tree looks great and what sweet journaling about missing your son's old ornaments.
Post a Comment